Friday, June 13, 2014

What really matters...



I got an end of the year card from one of my students and in it her mom wrote telling me how her daughter takes what she has learned at school and shows people at home. She doesn't go home to do math or write sentences, she goes home and tells people how to be a bucket filler (making people happy and feel good about themselves). She then went on to thank me for teaching her daughter values that go beyond just academics. With all the stress of high test scores and student growth, I think we sometimes lose sight of what we need to continue to teach our young learners. Manners, kindness, how to help out, responsibility, and how to interact with other people politely. These are the lessons they will remember the rest of their life. With this note alone, I've done my job this year. This means more to me than a standardized test score.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv24/spearmintbaby/pinit80.png